1 MOPED is the short term for ‘Motorized Pedaling’.
2. POP MUSIC is ‘Popular Music’ shortened.
3. BUS is the short term for ‘Omnibus’ that means for everybody.
4. FORTNIGHT comes from ‘Fourteen Nights’ (Two Weeks).
5. DRAWING ROOM was actually a ‘withdrawing room’ where people withdrew after Dinner. Later the prefix ‘with’ was dropped..
6. NEWS refers to information from Four directions N, E, W and S..
7. AG-MARK, which some products bear, stems from ‘Agricultural Marketing’.
8. TIPS come from ‘To Insure Prompt Service’. In olden days to get Prompt service from servants in an inn, travelers used to drop coins in a Box on which was written ‘To Insure Prompt Service’. This gave rise to the custom of Tips.
9. JEEP is a vehicle with unique Gear system. It was invented during World War II (1939-1945). It was named ‘General Purpose Vehicle (GP)’.GP was changed into JEEP later.
10. The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.
11. The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
12. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history.
- Spades – King David
- Clubs – Alexander the Great,
- Hearts – Charlemagne
- Diamonds – Julius Caesar.
13. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
Add a Comment